MOVE TO AUSTRALIA | Visa options for moving to Australia to live and work or to travel; including eligibility criteria.


THERE are various visa options for individuals and families who want to move to Australia and depending on your circumstances and desires, you should be able to find one that suits you.

The general visa types for Australia are:

1) Work visa (professional and other skilled workers)

a) Employer sponsored workers visa — for people with recognised skills seeking to work in Australia after being sponsored by an Australian or overseas employer (temporary or permanent). The Business (Long Stay) 457 Visa and Employer Nominated Scheme are popular routes for workers.

b) Professionals and other skilled migrants (General skilled migration) visa — for people who are not sponsored by an employer but who have skills in particular occupations required in Australia and wish to move to Australia.

c) Business people visa — for people to come to Australia for a business-related visit. Also for people to establish, manage or develop a new or existing business, or invest in Australia.

d) Doctors and nurses visa — for people in the medical profession.

e) Regional employment visa — skilled migrants who want to live and work in areas outside of Australia’s major cities.

f) Air and sea crew visa — for people who work on aeroplanes, yachts and other ships.

2) Migrant visa (families or dependents)

a) Family members visa — for de facto relationship, prospective marriages, partners, children and parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or New Zealand citizens.

b) Returning residents visa — for former Australian permanent residents or former citizens to re-enter Australia.

3) Visitor visa (tourists, working holidays, in transit, business trip or event)

a) Tourist visa — for people to visit or extend their holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational trip, or to visit relatives, friends or other short-term non-work purposes.

b) Working holiday visa (Subclass 417) — for people between the ages of 18 and 30 from certain countries to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

c) Medical treatment visa — for people who travel to Australia for up to 12 months of medical treatment.

d) Event organisers and participants visa — for people coming to Australia for conferences, meetings and special events.

4) Student visa (university or other training or skills development)

a) English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students.

b) Primary or Secondary School Course.

c) Vocational Education and Training.

d) Higher Education (bachelor/associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, higher education diploma, higher education advanced diploma, masters by coursework).

e) Postgraduate research (masters or doctoral degree).

f) Non-award (foundation studies or components of courses).

h) Student guardians — parents or relatives of Australian-based students

5) Refugee visa- Onshore — for people already in Australia who are found to be refugees.

The costs associated with the above visas all vary greatly depending on the type (and get amended on an annual basis), but it is the additional costs such as health checks, police clearances, certificates and postage of which you will also need to be conscious

For complete information about visa options for Australia- CONTACT US 03 8630 3373 / 0433201540

We can also assist if your visa is refused and you need help at the Tribunal. MRT/RRT